Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Precious Life


to Chilli~
 
Remember when you were here are you found the baby squirrel that had fallen out of its nest onto our porch?  This is what happened today...
 
Eiley, Armand, Elio and I were doing stretches on the floor.  I was sore because I've started doing Crossfit and Armand was sore because he has started running for exercise.  As we were stretching we heard an unusual noise outside and noticed a strange acting squirrel.  Soon we discovered a baby was laying on the porch again, exactly where it was last time.  We had a heavy rain storm last night and I guess the nest wasn't up for it.  I picked it up and was wondering what to do when Eiley came outside to bring Olive in.  She squealed and ran back in because she almost stepped on a second baby I hadn't noticed.  Both were uninjured.
 
 
The mama was definitely interested in having her babies back but we wanted to get them in a safe place away from our cats and Arria.  The babies were so precious to hold and cuddle, so fragile and sweet.  They were cool to the touch so we tried to warm them by holding our hands over them, then put them in a basket with a warmed bean bag and a towel.   In the picture above, the brother is on top and the sister below. 
 
We decided to hang the basket in a tree hoping the mama would retrieve them and take them back home.  We watched for a while but the mama stayed high in the tree making unhappy squirrel noises.  I put a little food for her on the ground and a bit in the basket thinking she didn't know where they were but maybe the smell of food would get her attention.  About an hour later I called a local wildlife organization to make sure I was doing all I could to get her to take the babies back.  We really didn't want to give them to a rehabilitator like we did last time.  I was told we were doing everything right and to call back if they were still there in three hours.  When I was on the phone I noticed the mama was coming a little further down the tree towards the basket.


About an hour later Eiley went outside to see how they were doing and came in excitedly saying 'They are gone!'  The mama had gotten her babies!  It was a great relief and we all felt successful in reuniting the family.  And we all wished we could hold the babies again!  Oh they were precious!


Eiley removing the basket from the tree once it was empty.
 

1 comment:

  1. oooh, they are so cute!!

    Nikki
    www.madebynikki.blogspot.com - blog design to support my work in India, fostering 7 children with special needs

    ReplyDelete